The Diaries of a Middle-Aged Housewife

Friday, January 15, 2010

Homework Horror

Most parents would love a kid who was self-motivated about doing their homework. I have one of those kids, but she takes self-motivated to a whole new level. The problem we're having is that she brings work home from school that is supposed to be done in class, as well as her regular homework. If the teacher tells them to get on Compass Learning once a week, she thinks she needs to get on it every night. This adds up to hours of homework every night. At first, I thought the teacher was giving an enormous amount of homework. Her teacher is my friend, so I talked to her about it, only to find out it was my daughter not the teacher which brings us to the homework adventure of the week.

Wednesday was the day........It was an uneventful day, that is until Hailey got home from school. Shortly after she got home, the homework marathon began. She was working on a writing assignment about trying something new. She wrote a rough draft and asked me to read it. When I read it, I thought it sounded like she had two subjects, so I made some suggestions to make it sound a little better, and that's when the meltdown started. She cried and argued longer than it would have taken to fix it. I guess I'm only supposed to say everything sounds great, even when I don't think so. I guess I shouldn't actually try to help her learn anything. The drama got so bad that I finally left the room and put myself in time-out. I figured that was the best way not to hurt anyone. I've been trying really hard to not yell (that was one of my New Year's Resolutions). I broke my Resolution. I was so frustrated.

About that time, Ashley happened to call. She was the queen of tantrums growing up. I've never seen a kid that could out do one of her tantrums. Since she perfected the art of having a tantrum when she was growing up, she seems to have the magic touch to get Hailey to calm down. I have to say it has been quite hilarious to me having Ashley give me advice on how to get Hailey to stop freaking out. Anyway, after talking to Ashley, Hailey calmed down, and finished her paper. She didn't change anything, but she finished it, and then proceeded to finish the rest of her pile.

The next morning, I went and exercised with my friends. Jackie was there. She is also a teacher and her son is in Hailey's class. I told her about the homework torture session I had been thru. She then told me the paper she was working on was supposed to be done in class. It wasn't supposed to come home. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! It's bad enough just to do the homework that has to be done. I just don't understand why she wants to be such an over-achiever. It frustrates me and her teacher.

Anyway, I survived the week. I'm enjoying having a four-day weekend and a homework break. I can't wait to see what fun next week will bring. I can't seem to get Dallin to do his homework and Hailey can't seem to get enough of it. Oh the joys of Motherhood!!!! I can't wait until her next book report is due. I hope she wants me to read it!!!

1 comment:

  1. MOM! Check you out! this was much funnier! keep practicing and you are going to be a pro blogger. I only wish i could do as good at writing as you!

    ReplyDelete